Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Yanmar
- Model: 4JH2E diesel
- Drive Type: Stern
- Fuel: Diesel
- Engine Power: 48hp
- Type: Inboard
- Propeller Type: 3 Blade
- Engine Hours: 1271
EMILY is a two owner, “lightly sailed” SW-42 Mark II in impeccable condition. She has been meticulously maintained by Hinckley in Southwest Harbor and launched for summers only and stored indoors with Hinckley during the winters. HD Radar, AIS, satellite weather and 2 Hybridtouch GPS chart plotters equip her to navigate long passages, Maine fog and night sailing with added peace of mind. She is a turn-key Hinckley classic ready for a new adventures wherever her new owner decides to take her.
HULL AND DECK:
- Topsides: Flag Blue Awlgrip
- Bootstripe: Double white and a blue
- Cove: Gold leaf
- Bottom: Blue
- House & Deck: Polar White gelcoat with Teak deck overlay
- Cockpit seats - Camel brown molded nonskid
- Exterior trim: Varnished teak
- Custom hull ports
- Teak decks refastened, plugged and caulked 2019
- Reefed and caulked deck seams as needed
- Repaired cockpit coaming cap joints
- Rebuilt Butterfly hatch including new glass 2019
The Sou'wester 42 hull is constructed using the SCRIMP® process to infuse vinylester resin in a single step under a vacuum into a cored laminate of Kevlar/E-glass. Dupont Kevlar fabric greatly increases the strength of the hull against damage caused by impacts and the aircraft grade balsa core provides the greatest degree of stiffness and thermal/acoustic insulation. The skin coat is chopped mat in low-shrink vinylester resin to provide a superior surface finish and a greater resistance to water osmosis. Core is removed and hull is reinforced with additional layers of fiberglass in stress areas. A fiberglass hull stringer system is bonded to the hull and integrated with the mast step and engine mounts to form a single unit that is strong and light.
The deck and house are a Scrimp® molded in one piece which incorporates a hybrid knit fabric of Kevlar/E-glass to reduce weight and a core of aircraft grade balsa, which is deleted in major penetration and stress areas and replaced with solid layers of reinforcing glass.
The hull is laid up with a 4" recessed flange to receive the deck which is bonded to this surface with reinforced polyester adhesive and thru-bolted on 8' centers with additional fastenings in the area of toe rail tracks, thus assuring a strong, permanent and watertight hull/deck joint.
- Keel: 9,000 lb. molded lead keel is secured to the hull with 1" stainless steel bolts.
- Centerboard: Molded solid Fiberglass
- Rudder: Skeg-hung rudder.
- Marelon ball-valve type seacocks are flush with the hull. Wooden plugs
- Guardrail: At sheer painted to match hull with solid stainless steel half oval
- All stainless steel deck hardware
- Stainless steel bow pulpit with teak seat
- Stainless steel stanchions with double lifelines and port and stbd boarding gates
- Double-side opening hatches with bronze plexiglass covers
- Varnished teak companionway slide
- Custom Butterfly hatch – over main salon
- Forward partitioned anchor locker has direct drainage to the bilge; 2nd anchor rode deck pipe fitting
- Varnished teak, double dorade box with two dorade ventilators and small covered storage between
- Saltwater deck wash
- Stainless steel bow roller for CQR anchor
The aft T-shaped teak-rimmed cockpit coaming is wider adjacent to the wheel for comfortable outboard seating for the helmsman. The water-sealed opening cockpit seats have molded nonskid. The cockpit has a teak sole.
The sail and equipment locker to port has a stainless steel line rack, and can be secured with a lock operated from the main cabin. Cockpit includes a propane locker with vent. There are four stainless steel trimmed winch pockets in the coaming.
Pedestal wheel steering has a 38" stainless steel destroyer type wheel with an elkhide covered rim, SS guardrail, engine controls, watertight 12-volt outlet and a stainless steel housed 6” binnacle compass and binnacle guard. A complete range of engine instruments and switches are recessed in locations handy to the helmsman. Sailing instruments are above the companionway and in the forward bulkhead.
- Cockpit Dodger – White with hard forward window with zipper and stainless steel grab rail
- Cockpit Cushions
- Cockpit table - pedestal mounted, varnished teak fold-down cockpit table
- Drink holder - pedestal mounted
- Folding teak step for helmsman
- Manual bilge pump
- 12-VDC outlets – mounted at companionway
- Added full lifeline netting 2019
- New supports for stern step 2019
- Added handrails to companionway 2019
ELECTRONICS AND NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT:
2013 Raymarine full electronics Upgrade: HD Radar dome, 2 new hybrid touch displays with Wi-Fi, satellite weather/radio antenna and AIS.
- Raymarine e165 15” Multi-function display with Wi-Fi - at Nav Station & Raymarine e7 9” multifunction display - at helm
- Raymarine HD Radar dome and external Raystar 130 GPS
- Raymarine SR6 Satellite Radio and weather receiver with Shakespeare SRA40 antenna – mounted at first spreader
- Raymarine AIS 650 with VHF splitter
- Raymarine Sea-Talk network
- Wave Wi-Fi Rogue Pro – with WAP antenna – mounted at first spreader
- Robertson AP300 Autopilot – interfaced to GPS
- Northstar GPS – backup
- VHF – ICOM M126
- Datamarine Offshore 3500 with 4 readouts – Under dodger and repeater at Nav Station
- Sony CDX-H910UI marine CD Receiver – with USB/IPOD/IPHONE connectivity
INTERIOR ACCOMMODATIONS WALKTHROUGH:
EMILY’s interior is finished in satin-varnished cherry with gloss highlights. She has a 42 MKII standard “Dinette Arrangement” that sleeps up to six in two cabins, with a total of three separate sleeping areas.
She is finished with louvered cherry locker fronts, white formica overhead with dome lights and the gloss varnished teak and holly sole throughout. All hanging lockers are cedar-lined.
- (2) Fixed hull ports
- Espar D3L diesel heater – with exhaust on deck
- (1) Double-opening overhead hatch + butterfly hatch overhead
- (3) Opening ports provide extra light and ventilation
- Fixed ports that provide illumination
- Two screened dorade vents with closures
- 12-volt lighting includes Frigast lights
- (3) Hella fans
- All berths have lee cloths
- Norbar fabric interior cushions and light blue curtains
- AM/FM stereo with CD - Nav Station with speakers in main cabin and forward stateroom
- Chelsea clock & barometer
Forward access to the partitioned rope/chain forepeak storage area is through a louvered cherry door.
- Forward is a custom straight-across large V-berth, with stowable V-insert added sleeping space.
- 3 large storage drawers are under the berth.
- Sliding vented door lockers over berths outboard port and starboard
- Sliding door locker storage is fitted outboard above port and starboard
- There is a 3-drawer bureau to port and additional locker storage over
- Full-length cedar lined hanging locker is to starboard.
- Two opening ports
- Frigast 12-volt lights
- Full-length mirror on door
Next aft to port, the head is finished in White formica with cherry locker doors and cherry trim and easily cleaned. There is a screened opening port and a screened dorade vent opening with shut off.
- Cherry with gloss highlights countertop with undermounted stainless steel sink
- Faucet with pull-out shower mixer, hot & cold pressure water
- Large two-shelf locker outboard with cherry varnished sliding doors.
- Manual marine head is plumbed to a holding tank
- Stainless steel handrail/towel bar
- 2013 – All waste system hoses replaced
Amidships, this full-width cabin has a U-shaped dinette to port.
- Dining Table (2013) – Hinckley high-gloss varnished cherry table with two folding leafs – with removable tapered pedestal. Allows wide-open main salon when removed.
- Custom outboard dinette seat pulls inboard to form a double berth. There is storage behind this berth.
- Over outboard are two lockers with shelves and a bookcase between.
- A custom stainless steel pole along with cut-out cherry handholds provides extra safety handholds throughout the main cabin.
- Butterfly hatch
To Starboard: Forward is a full-length cedar-lined hanging locker. Aft of the hanging locker is a two-drawer cabinet with a locker above. Continuing aft there is a curved settee/transom berth with storage behind and two lockers and bookshelf over outboard. There is a shelf in the forward stbd locker
- Two stereo speakers are on the forward face of port and stbd bookshelf.
- There is an 110V outlet and TV antenna outlet in stbd locker above bureau.
- (2) Hella 12V fans, stainless steel Ocean Frigast lights, overhead dome lights.
Next to port, the Galley is separated from the main salon by a 5/8’s bulkhead with a varnished cherry cut-out grab rail.
The U-shaped galley:
- Forward: Champagne Corian countertop, stainless steel double sink, faucet with hot & cold pressure water, manual freshwater hand pump and Seagull water filter.
- Outboard: Gimbaled 3-burner stainless steel Force 10 propane stove with oven & broiler in a stainless steel enclosure with solenoid shut-off, and trap storage forward. Custom Corian stovetop cover for added counter space, which stows below stove.
- Aft: Grunert DC-50 dual-powered refrigeration system (engine drive compressor and 110V AC compressor) with separate refrigeration/freezer box system entered through traps in the countertop allowing for plenty of counter workspace. A GE microwave oven is in an aft, inboard galley locker.
- Lockers, bin, shelves and drawer storage areas are available for foodstores and galleyware. There is a pull-out trash bin and there is a built-in dustpan in the cabin sole.
To port, opposite the galley and aft of the main salon settee is the forward-facing nav area separated by a partial bulkhead from the main salon.
- Opening nav table for storage of charts, as well as storage drawers and in a cushioned nav seat.
- Custom cherry cabinet forward houses nav electronics
- Electrical panel and gauges
- Red/white dome light
- Stereo & CD player with Bose speakers
- USB and 12 VDC outlets
The Quarterberth area is aft of the Nav Station with cherry sheathing lining the area outboard. A single berth has storage lockers over outboard. The hot water tank is located in a locker at the aft end of the berth. Area includes a 12-volt Hella fan, a stainless steel Ocean Frigast light, and an overhead dome light. There are four hooks for foul weather gear.
Aft, on center is the COCKPIT COMPANIONWAY with port and starboard handrails. Below the companionway threshold there is a custom cherry flip-down louvered locker door enclosing a substantial equipment alcove.
SAILS & RIGGING:
- Carbon fiber electric Stoway mast with 2 winches
- All sails serviced in 2020
- Stainless steel rod rigging
- Harken II headstay with roller-furling
- Navtec hydraulic backstay and boomvang with remote panel in cockpit
- Kevlar running backstays
- Hydraulic backstay
- Hall quikvang
- MPS halyard
- Rigging rollers
- Masthead: Windex, 5-function tri-color 360° masthead light and TV/FM antenna.
- Repainted boom 2019
- (8) Lewmar winches
- #50 electric 2-speed primaries
- #58 secondary winches
- Main and jib halyard winches are mast mounted
SAILS: All North sails
- Main – Norlam
- 150% Genoa – 6.5 oz Norlam with foam luff
- 105% Genoa – Dacron
- Gennaker – Blue/Yellow
2013 – New LED bulbs installed throughout boat
2018-- New start battery
12-volt DC electrical system:
- 2013 Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM sealed batteries – 440-amp/hr total
- A dual output 100 amp alternator is mounted on the main engine.
- Emergency starting
- 12-volt DC outlet in cockpit
- 12 volt DC outlets at companionway in cockpit
110 volt AC System:
- 2013 Mastervolt 12/2500 Inverter/Charger with MICC control/battery monitor
- Inverter remote Link 2000
- 110-volt outlets (galley, nav, head, V-berth, salon).
All circuits are circuit breaker protected at the nav station panel that is equipped with both voltmeter and ammeter. Master switches are provided for starting and lighting circuits. All circuits, major mechanical components and rigging are grounded with heavy copper strapping to the keel and the mast is lightning protected as well.
MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT & ENGINE DETAILS:
Yanmar 4JH2E FWC 48-hp diesel engine with 2:1 reduction gear, Aquamet 22 stainless steel shaft with spurs and 3-blade feathering Max-prop.
- Racor fuel filter
- Engine alarm oil/overheat, tachometer, oil & temperature
- Oil transfer pump
- Espar D3L heater - with four outlets
- (2) 12-volt DC automatic electric bilge pumps and (2) cockpit manual bilge pumps
- Emergency tiller steering
- Deckwash – Saltwater pressure system with spigot foredeck mounted – Jabsco 6900 pump
- Hot and cold pressure water system
- 12-gallon hot water tank - stainless steel, engine heated, 120V-AC element
- Marine manual head with holding tank and discharge pump
- Sealand Tank Watch II level monitor system
- Fiberglass sump tank with 12VDC pump discharge
- Engine room blower and acoustical insulation
- Automatic fire extinguisher in engine room
- 2013 - Second 12 VDC bilge pump added
- 2020 – All waste system hoses and pump replaced
- Engine valves overhauled 2018
- Nilsson VWC 1200 windlass – with chain and rode
- 45# CQR anchor with 30’ chain x 250’ nylon rode
- New anchor rode 2018
- Radar reflector
- Outboard motor bracket – mounts on stern pulpit
- MOB packet
- LED Tri-color masthead light w/anchor/strobe function
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.